Michigan Golf News |
January 11, 2007 - Vol. 8, No. 2
AMERICA'S VALUE GOLF DESTINATION
Santee, South Carolina
Web: Golf Packages http://www.santeetourism.com
Videos: http://michigangolfer.tv/2007shows/santee/ & http://youtube.com/watch?v=dm3zpL46pYk
LONDON GOLF SHOW-HELENIC COMMUNITY CENTRE-LONDON, ONTARIO
WEST MICHIGAN GOLF SHOW
Video: Preview of 2008http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlrqggvtKdc
MICHIGAN GOLF SHOW
Edited by Art McCafferty
__/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/__/ __/ __/ __/
__/ MICHIGAN GOLFER ON THE ROAD
__/THE GOLF SHOWS ARE COMING, THE GOLF SHOWS ARE COMING
__/ THE BALLOTS FOR THE MICHIGAN GOLF HALL OF FAME CLASS OF 2008 ARE IN THE MAIL
__/MICHIGAN GOLF HALL OF FAME MEMBER VIDEOS
__/ MICHIGAN GOLFER MAGAZINE-WINTER ISSUE
__/TERRY MOORE'S TOP 10
__/ MINZEY'S MUSINGS
__/ DEAR ARNIE
__/ DID YOU KNOW?
__/ GLSP NETWORK YOU TUBE VIEWERSHIP OVER 60,000 SINCE MAY DEBUT
__/ MICHIGAN GOLF CALENDAR
__/ ASSOCIATION LINKS
__/ HELP DESKhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ supplied by Jim Neff
__/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/ __/__/ __/ __/ __/
MICHIGAN GOLFER ON THE ROAD
As I drove through Oakland University's campus to a meeting at Meadowbrook Hall, I was thrown just a tad to see the banners up celebrating their 50th anniversary. I was a student in the charter class and remembered well the largesse of Matilda Wilson (Dodge heir) when she gave Michigan State and the fledging new university money and a ton of land to begin the new school. But 50 years, man where does the time go?
The new university brought together a nation wide advisory group, Henry Booth Luce of Time being one of them, to establish guidelines for this brand new school. Their consensus was that this would be a university that would be totally based on academics. There would be only intramural sports at the university, there would be no fraternities or sororities and only the best faculty would be hired so to act as a beacon to attract talented students from around the world. The school started out with three buildings and around 700 students, my student number being 677. It was a tough school and there were many academic casualties as they began their journey.
The university has changed its philosophy in sports, as they now field baseball, soccer, basketball, cross country, swimming and diving, track, volleyball, softball, tennis and happily, golf.
The university has two courses, Katke Cousins, with Bob Beard being the architect and William Newcomb the designer. The second, was another collaborative effort with Warren Henderson being the architect and Rick Smith being the designer.
Director of Golf, Bill Rogers, has been there since the dayKatke-Cousins Golf Course opened in 1977. His team includes, Perry Busse, the Head Professional, who joined the team in 2006, after stints atGreat Oaks Country Club and Carl's Golfland. Tom Schall, the Golf Course Superintendent, started in 2003. Schallis a graduate of the Golf Turf Management Program at Michigan State University and has worked at Oakland Hills, Dearborn CG and Oak Pointe CC in Brighton.
As pointed out on the OU website http://www2.oakland.edu/oakland/ouportal/index.asp?site=65, golf has been a tradition on the property since the early 1900s. John Dodge, the auto maker and industrialist, was reported to have expressed himself in rather salty language at number of Detroit area courses and was "excused" from them. Having the means to continue his tradition of salty language and love of golf, he build his own nine hole course at what was then his Rochester farmhouse. His 3,081-yard course had crossing fairways and therefore could only accommodate one group at a time. "According to Rogers, the second green and the ninth hole of the Dodge course appear to sit very close to where Katke-Cousins' second green and ninth hole sit today. When Dodge closed the course for the season in 1919, little did he know that the next round of golf would not be played on the Meadow Brook grounds until 1977."
OU had its place in the international sun, when it hosted a Tiger Woods Golf Clinic and theRyder Cup Champion's Invitational in September of '04. On hand for the game and other golf related activities were; Tiger Woods,Detroit Red Wings Brendan Shanahan and Darren McCarty, Detroit Tigers Hall of Famer Al Kaline and new Pro-Football Hall of Famer Barry Sanders Michael Jordan, Ahmad Rashad and Samuel L. Jackson.
Source: OU Website:http://www2.oakland.edu/oakland/ouportal/index.asp?site=65
Go Pioneers!! Oh yeah, come to think of it, that has changed too. Go Grizzlies!!
THE GOLF SHOWS ARE COMING, THE GOLF SHOWS ARE COMING
Next week, the golf industry kicks off its season with the 55th PGA Merchandise Show and the 91st Annual Meeting of the PGA in Orlando, Florida. Early estimates peg the total attendance to be at around the 45,000 mark. While the show has slipped from its 90's heydays, it is still an eye popping experience for people visiting it for the first time. It is always a great escape for Michigan golf professionals who want to get in a round, get some of their schooling done and see the latest in equipment and gear. Less buying takes place now, as the Internet has changed how golf business is done, but again, it is always nice to see all of the different brands under one roof.
55th PGA Merchandise Show
Also, next week, the London Golf Show opens with a new date and new location. It is now at theHellenic Community Centre, 133 Southdale Road West, London, Show hours are Saturday, January 19th - , 10am to 6pm and Sunday, January 20th - , 10am to 5pm, 2008.
Other Golf Show Dates
JANUARY 11-13 KENTUCKY GOLF SHOW
JANUARY 25-27 ST. LOUIS GOLF SHOW
FEBRUARY 8-10 SPRING INDIANA GOLF SHOW
FEBRUARY 15-15 GREATER CLEVELAND GOLF SHOW
FEBRUARY22-24 20th ANNUALWEST MICHIGAN GOLF SHOW
Video: Preview of 2008http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlrqggvtKdc
FEBRUARY 28-MARCH 2 CHICAGO GOLF SHOW
MARCH7-9MICHIGAN GOLF SHOW
MARCH 7-9 MILWAUKEE JOURNAL SENTINEL GOLF SHOW
MARCH 14-16 LANSING GOLF SHOW
THE BALLOTS FOR THE MICHIGAN GOLF HALL OF FAME CLASS OF 2008 ARE IN THE MAIL
Bob Masters has just released the ballots for this year's crop of Hall of Fame hopefuls. The nominees are; Jack Van Ess, Ken Janke, Meriam Leeke, John Morgan, Jack Seltzer andEvan "Big Cat" Williams. All have impressive credentials and all are deserving, however, only three of the six will be selected.
The 2008 HOF Induction Ceremony and Golf Outing will once again be held Sunday, May 18th at the Indianwood Golf and Country Club in Lake Orion. Indianwood will be theSite of 2012 Senior Openhttp://www.usga.org/news/2007/November/2007_80.html
Michigan Golf Foundation http://michigan-golf-foundation.com
MICHIGAN GOLF HALL OF FAME MEMBER VIDEOS
The following shows represent interviews, conversations or recollections of and by Michigan Golf Hall of Famers. The videos were taken in a variety of circumstances and locations. Enjoy
Everett Kircher Bill Flemming Tributehttp://youtube.com/watch?v=rGSM5fSJCfk
W. Bruce Matthewshttp://michigangolfer.tv/2001shows/show16/index.html
MICHIGAN GOLFER MAGAZINE-WINTER ISSUE
Our Winter issue of the Michigan Golfer has some great reading for everyone. We lead off with Susan Bairley as she prepares us for a Florida getaway, sans golf clubs. We take a sneak preview of Paul Albanese's new tract in Harris, the new Sweetgrass Golf Course. You can also get a look at the course on the video we didhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=oU1AbuEAHZ0 earlier this year. Our newest writer, Rob Franciosi, writes about putting his clubs away for the year and Art McCafferty writes a companion piece to the video http://youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ef64EjCSs GLSP did on the rise to international acclaim, Michigan golf architect, Tom Doak.Finally, we bring you our 4th Annual Michigan Golfer Top 10 list, a reader favorite for the past three years. Is this a great state or what? Enjoy.
GULF GOLF: THE PERFECT GETAWAY -By Susan and Paul Bairley
SWEETGRASS IS SWEET- By Art McCafferty
CLUB RENTALS – A PRICEY ALTERNATIVE TO PACK N' HAUL-By Susan Bairley
OPENING THE TRUNK AND CLOSING THE SEASON-By Rob Franciosi
TOM DOAK: FROM HIGH POINTE TO SEBONACK- By Art McCafferty
TERRY MOORE'S-SLICE OF LIFE-"Top 10 Predictions for 2008"
2007 MICHIGAN GOLFER TOP 10 LISTS -Compiled by Bernice Phillips and L'Anse Bannon
Top 10 Michigan Stories of the Year
MICHIGAN PGA MONEY WINNERS
U.S. GOLF STORIES
OLDEST MICHIGAN TOURNAMENTS
VIEWS IN MICHIGAN GOLF
TEACHERS IN MICHIGAN
U.S. GOLF SCHOOLS
MOST EXCLUSIVE GOLF CLUBS
BEST DRESSED GOLFERS OF ALL TIME
MOST PROLIFIC MICHIGAN GOLF COURSE ARCHITECTS
MOST ACES BY GOLF PROFESSIONALS
INSTRUCTIONAL GOLF BOOKS
MICHIGAN GOLF TOURNAMENTS
NICKLAUS COURSES YOU CAN PLAY
MICHIGAN GOLF COURSES-GOLFWEEK
MOST AWARDED COURSES
COURSES IN THE WORLD YOU CAN PLAY
TOUGHEST HOLES IN U.S.
MICHIGAN MEN GOLF ICONS
MICHIGAN WOMEN GOLF ICONS
MICHIGAN GOLF STORIES
MOST POWERFUL PEOPLE IN MICHIGAN GOLF
U.S.COLLEGIATE TEAMS- WOMEN
BEST AMERICAN COURSES
MONEY MAKERS PGA TOUR
TERRY MOORE'S TOP 10
At the urging of my therapist who also moonlights as a palm reader at winter carnivals, Iím going out on the limb with this column and offering my Top Ten Golf Predictions for 2008. Please print out this page so as events happen throughout the coming months, you can repeat after me, "I told you so!" Here we go, in no particular order of significance:
1. Health Magazine and a leading golf manufacturer jointly release a research study claiming a certain hybrid club actually lowers bad cholesterol.
2. A well-known television golf commentator will mysteriously and sadly choke to death after uttering live on-air, "I bet Rory's dinner will taste better tonight after making that putt."
3. The Golf Channel launches a new reality series in conjunction with Court TV called "The Big Break-Out" where nine tethered convicts serving time for victimless crimes will compete against each other in Las Vegas. At the end, one lucky con will be paroled as a sports agent.
4. TrackMan, the revolutionary Doppler-radar measuring device, will introduce a new feature indicating in exact yards and inches the distance between one's wallet and the guy who still owes you money from last Saturdayís game.
5. A leading national golf publication breaks through the clutter by publishing a new magazine with ads on every page but with compelling yet concise editorial printed on dozens of subscription blank-size cards that fall out on the carpet.
6. The most visited golf website in 2008 will be www.mostvisitedgolfwebsite.com followed closely by www.ngulbisgonewild.com
7. The hottest golf infomercial will be one that amazingly depicts a single product guaranteeing a flatter stomach, more one-putt greens, invisibility, and a smaller carbon footprint.
8. The best-selling audio book in golf is oddly entitled: "Marvelous Courses I Can No Longer Stomach Hearing About From Rich Friends and Golf Writers Alike."
9. The LPGA establishes a local rule banning caddies from standing behind players to check their pre-shot alignment. Yodeling, as a concession, is now permitted.
10. The most repeated golf joke of the year starts off, "Two bachelor Irishmen were playing at Lahinch near dusk when they noticed a ewe and a duck in a pot bunker."
Founding editor of Michigan Golfer, Terry Moore lives in Grand Rapids and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Personalized predictions are available upon request and with a credit card.
1. Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.
2. One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
3. Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
4. If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?
5. The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.
6. I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
7. What if there were no hypothetical questions?
8. If a deaf person swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?
9. If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?
10. Is there another word for synonym?
11. Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"
12. What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?
13. If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?
14. Would a fly without wings be called a walk?
15. Why do they lock gas station bathrooms? Are they afraid someone will clean them?
16. If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?
17. Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?
18. If the police arrest a mime, do they tell him he has the right to remain silent?
19. Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?
20. How do they get deer to cross the road only at those yellow road signs?
21. What was the best thing before sliced bread?
22. One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.
23. Does the Little Mermaid wear an algebra?
24. Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?
25. How is it possible to have a civil war?
26. If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest drown, too?
27. If you ate both pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry?
28. If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?
29.Whose cruel idea was it for the word "lisp" to have "S" in it?
30. Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?
31. Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?
32. Why is there an expiration date on sour cream?
33. Can an atheist get insurance against acts of God?
I've never written to you before, but Ireally need your advice. I havesuspected for some time now that my wifehas been cheating on me. The
usual signs......... phone rings but ifI answer, the caller hangs up.My wife has been going out with thegirls a lot recently although when I
ask their names she always says, "Justsome friends from work, you don'tknow them." I always try to stay awaketo look out for her coming home,
but I usually fall asleep. Anyway, Ihave never approached the subjectwith my wife. I think deep down I justdidn't want to know the truth,
but last night she went out again and Idecided to really check on her.
Around midnight, I decided to hide inthe garage behind my golf clubs soI could get a good view of the wholestreet when she arrived home from anight out with "the girls". It was atthat moment, crouching behind myclubs, that I noticed that the graphiteshaft on my driver appeared to
have a hairline crack right by the clubhead. Is this something I canfix myself or should I take it back tothe pro shop where I bought it?
2008 MICHIGAN GOLFER CALENDAR
16-19 55thPGA Merchandise Show, Orlando County Convention Center, Orlando
19-20 London Show -Helenic Community Centre, London, ON
28-2/2 NGCOA Annual Conference & Golf Industry Show, Orlando
2-3 Hamilton Golf & Travel Show
22-24- 20th Anniversary West Michigan Golf Show, Grand Rapids, DeVos Center
7-9 Michigan Golf Show, Rock Financial Showplace, Novi
14-16 Lansing Golf Show, Lansing Center, Lansing
3-4 West Michigan Best Ball,LE Kaufman GC, Grand Rapids
17-18 West Michigan Amateur,Candlestone GC, Belding
18 Michigan Golf Hall of Fame, Indianwood Golf and Country Club, Lake Orion
19 City Match Play,Crystal Springs CC, Grand Rapids
6-7 Michigan High School Boys State Championship
12 Michigan Open Championship GTR (Wolverine / Bear)
12-13 Kent County Amateur,LE Kaufman GC, Grand Rapids
12-15 U.S. OpenTorrey Pines Golf Course. La Jolla, CA.
17-21 97th Michigan AmateurThe Moors Golf Club
24-25 Club Car Michigan Senior Open , Bedford Valley GC
26-29 Buick Open, Warwick Hills, Grand Blanc
7-11 92nd Michigan Women’s AmateurWalnut Hills CC
7-8 E-Z-GO Shanty Creek Classic presented by Page & Tuttle Shanty Creek Resort (Cedar/Schuss)
12 Michigan PGA Women’s Open Pro Am ,Crystal Mt. Resort
14-16 Michigan PGA Women’s OpenCrystal Mt. Resort(Mountain Ridge)
18-19 Tournament of Champions Pro Am ,Boyne Mountain / Bay Harbor , Boyne Mountain (Alpine)
21-23 Tournament of Champions ,Boyne Mountain / Bay Harbor , Boyne Mountain (Alpine)
28-29 Michigan PGA Sr Champ / Sr. CPC Qualifying, Forest Dunes Golf Club
28-31 30th Mi Junior State AmateurForest Akers - West
28-8/3 Western Amateur, Pointe O'Woods, Benton Harbor
1-3 Western Amateur, Pointe O'Woods, Benton Harbor
4-10 , PGA CHAMPIONSHIP , OAKLAND HILLS CC,
11-12 87th GAM ChampionshipOrchard Lake CC
24 Michigan PGA Championship Pro Am Eagle Eye GC
25-27, Michigan PGA Professional Championship, Eagle Eye GC / Hawk Hollow GC,
TBA 22nd GAM Senior ChampionshipPoint O’Woods G & CC
15-18 Michigan PGA Match Play presented by Boylan Sales/ProLink, Polo Fields Golf and Country Club
19-21 Ryder Cup, Vahalla CC. Louisville, KY
28-30 21st Annual Pepsi Fall Charity Invitational
TBA GAM Chrysler Club ChampionshipIndianwood Golf & Country Club
12 Michigan PGA Fall Merchandise Show Eagle Eye Golf Club
13 Fall Meeting / Michigan PGA Fall Merchandise Show , Eagle Eye Golf Club
American Association of Golf Course Architects
Golf Association of Michigan
Golf Course Superintendents Association of America
Michigan Section PGA
Michigan Golf Course Owners Association
Michigan Golf Foundation
Michigan Golf Course Superintendents Association
Michigan High School Athletic Association
Michigan Interscholastic Golf Coaches Association
Michigan Publinx Seniors Golf Association
Michigan Women's Golf Association
National Golf Course Owners Association
National Golf Foundation
HomePage | Calendar of Events | News | Tournaments
Course Reviews | Destinations | Warm Weather & Out of State Golf
About Us | Contact Us | Michigan Golf History | Past Issues
Michigan Golfer TV | Michigan Runner TV | Michigan Skier TV | Michigan Travel TV
Comments to email@example.com
© Great Lakes Sports Publications,